Blockchain for Finance Conference 2017 in a Nutshell
Becoming one of the most important blockchain conferences in Europe, Blockchain for Finance Conference 2017 (BFC17) was certainly a must attend. Here’s why:
- The number of visitors wasn’t huge, which in my opinion is a good thing. You had the opportunity to network and connect with the majority of the delegates.
- The conference attracted some very high profile attendees and speakers from the Fintech world, especially banks. It was great to hear their thoughts on Blockchain, ICO and of course Regulations.
- Many of the topics discussed were very relevant to the ecosystem’s development. like Blockchain as a tool for SEPA credit identifiers and more streamline cross-border payments.
- The energy that gave the event a certain positivity towards collaboration and support among individuals and corporations that otherwise would be very conservative and closed to discussing new proprietary technologies all together!
- The venue was outstanding! Maybe because I’m a huge rugby fan and being in the Aviva Stadium is just awesome.
Of course, you would expect the good as well the bad. The good news is that most of the issues I had with the event can be adjusted and changed for the next conference.
- Earlier I mentioned that the number of delegates wasn’t big in comparison to other events with around few hundred but they were very high profile. On the other hand, the tradeshow had a handful of exhibitors. It felt like it does have the potential of growth for sure.
- Some of the talks had great and interesting topics but were a bit long-winded. Maybe some breakout sessions in the afternoon would help with the change of pace.
- This part is certainly a preference, Dublin is not the best of the morning commute, with an early start of 7:30am or 8:30am, you will be stuck in a commuting nightmare. I’ll be surprised if any of the attendees would mind a later start of the conference day.
- Dublin has one of the most expensive hotel rates in Europe. The closer we are to the summer the more you pay. For example, a shared hotel room in September was going for €70 per night. Maybe have thee event away from the high season.
Is it worth it?
BFC17 is a specifically catered to the #Fintech world, more specifically the Blockchain in Finance. It’s not for everyone in the ecosystem. You are a day trader or just love the concept of Blockchain then this is not for you. On the other hand, if you are a Fintech Startup, Blockchain Startup investor, a company that deals with bank related technology, then this a must event for you!
Will I go again next year?
Definitely! But please have better coffee for the next event. You never know, 3fe coffee might sponsor it next time!
Written by: Rick Nassar